Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs.

    These are in some huge cabs. Looks like they have the Utah helper woofers.

    These are claimed to be NOS, but probably not.

    Seller wants 5 grand for the pair.

    eBay - Page Not Found

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    These are in some huge cabs. Looks like they have the Utah helper woofers.

    These are claimed to be NOS, but probably not.

    Seller wants 5 grand for the pair.

    eBay - Page Not Found
    I'll bet these are the same speakers that one of the guys on AK proposed to buy but then passed on them once he had them in house. Did you see that thread?

    GeeDeeEmm

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs

    I did see that thread GDM. I think these cabs are much larger than the ones in the AK thread. And also those were painted black.

    It's funny, because I had never heard of the "Super Reds" with the Utah helper woofer, and then two pairs show up in a month.

    I am curious how they compare to the Urei monitors with the Eminence helper woofer (Urei 813 I believe). Sounds like the other guy in the AK threads with the same speakers wasn't too impressed with the Utah woofers. He said he had his unhooked and acting as PR's. Lol.

    But seriously, the cabinets in the ebay link for these speakers must be like 15-20 cubic feet. They look huge!

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member kwingylee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1st, 2010
    Posts
    98
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I did see that thread GDM. I think these cabs are much larger than the ones in the AK thread. And also those were painted black.

    It's funny, because I had never heard of the "Super Reds" with the Utah helper woofer, and then two pairs show up in a month.

    I am curious how they compare to the Urei monitors with the Eminence helper woofer (Urei 813 I believe). Sounds like the other guy in the AK threads with the same speakers wasn't too impressed with the Utah woofers. He said he had his unhooked and acting as PR's. Lol.

    But seriously, the cabinets in the ebay link for these speakers must be like 15-20 cubic feet. They look huge!
    I have the UREI 813s and I can confirm they have the Eminence woofer but with accordion surrounds instead of the typical foam. The ones in the ebay ad looked twice as big!

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs

    Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    I have the UREI 813s and I can confirm they have the Eminence woofer but with accordion surrounds instead of the typical foam. The ones in the ebay ad looked twice as big!
    How do you like your Urei 813? Are they the early version with the 604G woofers?

    My daily drivers are Urei 604Gs. I love them. I prefer the Urei horn over the normal 604G eggcrate horn, and the newer 604 Mantaray horn.

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member kwingylee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1st, 2010
    Posts
    98
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    How do you like your Urei 813? Are they the early version with the 604G woofers?

    My daily drivers are Urei 604Gs. I love them. I prefer the Urei horn over the normal 604G eggcrate horn, and the newer 604 Mantaray horn.
    They are the first version of the 813 with 604-8G drivers and the blue UREI horn. The person I bought them from was running them with a Dynaco ST70 power amp. I did not like that combination in his room. I am running them now with a Marantz 1150 integrated amp and they sound much better. I have always wanted 604-8G based speakers and I now have a pair. Of all of the Altec speakers that I have owned, which include A7s, Valencias, Flamencos, 19s, Santanas, all of them have their charms, the A5s are my hands down favorites.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.